Thursday, May 19, 2011

One small step for graduates..one giant leap of faith for me.

I'm not saying that I'm the only graduate who is freaked out by the future.  I know that I'm not the only graduate this year without a job lined up. But it's SCARY. Really scary. On Saturday, I officially graduated from college.  That's right. I now hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education from The Pennsylvania State University. Woo hoo! But now what?

Well, let me tell you a little bit about my summer so far.  After student teaching was over, I traveled back to State College to spend the last few weeks of the semester with the friends that I've come to love over the past four years.  We had amazing adventures and some really chill times too.  Campfires, a day on the beach, disc golf (at which I am horrendous and Tim is amazing), and a few trips to the dollar theater all with some awesome people helped to make our senior week something that I will truly never forget.

Tim says that State College is like Neverland.  It's not the real world here. And I'm beginning to see that he's right.  This place that I've spent my last four years has been like a dream.  It's where I met my best friends, Tim, and most importantly, it's where I truly met Jesus.  Now it feels like I've come to the end of a beautifully paved path and am about to embark onto a trek into the jungle.  I can't see anything past where I am now, and I'm really frightened about what challenges I'm going to face on my new journey.

I don't have a job yet. I have no clue where I'm going to be living. I'm leaving everything I've ever known behind, and the scariest part is that I'm doing it alone.  I'm leaving my community, my friends, and Tim.  But the consolation that I have is that I don't have to leave God.  It's true that I'll be leaving Cru, Calvary, and all of the other groups and places where I got to know Him, but those places are not where he is.  He's in me. And he's in you. Pretty cool huh?

Another place we'll (God and I :)) be going this summer is to Jackson Hole, WY on a summer project with Campus Crusade for Christ (Cru).  I could not be more excited about this opportunity! I get to spend about a month in a community of believers who are on fire for Jesus learning about how we can defend our faith and have a better ministry through our lives.  The cost of this project all said and done was about $2500, and I had to raise support for it.  That meant sending letters out and asking people to give me money for basically nothing in return from me other than a thank you card.  It was terrifying.  I feel so uncomfortable asking people for money. But the Holy Spirit has been so faithful in providing.  I am still about $400 short of my goal, but I am relying on God to provide the rest, or at least allow me to have the funds to provide the rest myself.

Could you do me a favor? Could you please pray for my future? Please pray that I will have the faith to trust God to take me where he wants me. And if you need me to pray for something, please let me know! It would be a privilege :)

No comments:

Post a Comment